Healthy Living On The Move - The Truth On Honey


Honey has a long medicinal history. But did you know that paediatricians strongly caution against feeding it to children under one year old. "It has been shown very clearly that honey give infants botulism, a paralytic disorder in which the infant must be given anti-toxins and often be placed on a respirator in an intensive care unit,"says Jatinder Bhatia, MD, a Georgia neonatologist who heads the American Academy of Pediatrics' Committee on Nutrition.
The reason? Because infants do not have a developed immune system to defend against infection, so the spores of the botulism bacteria that are found in dust and soil that may make their way into honey are potentially lethal for an infant.

No comments:

Post a Comment